Do You Know Wine?
Posted 6 years ago by Briana Lucas
Miscellaneous facts and wine trivia
You may think you know wine, but there’s always more to learn. Here are some wine facts and did-you-knows guaranteed to impress your fellow wine lovers:
- In 1801, Thomas Jefferson spent 12% of his $25,000 Presidential salary on wine.
- There are over 5,000 wine grape varieties in the world—many of which have multiple names.
- The Book of Jonah is the only book in the Old Testament that contains no reference to wine or the vine.
- The Romans mixed lead with wine to improve preservation, flavor, and texture. Unfortunately, lead is poisonous.
- Of the wine sold in restaurants, 55% is red wine.
- Red wine becomes lighter in color as it ages, but white wine becomes darker.
- There are more chemical compounds in wine than in blood.
- There are about 44 million bubbles in a bottle of sparkling wine.
- 90% of wine produced in America comes from California.
- Airén is the world’s most widely planted grape variety in terms of area planted; it is grown primarily in Spain where it is used to make white wine and brandy.
And finally, a Latin proverb: “It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one’s present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.”
Source – The Daily Sip, Pulse ~ Aug 10, 2012